August 6, 2009

iPhone App of the Week: Things

I've never really thought about how a "Get Things Done" (known hereon as GTD) manager can get my priorities straight. And now that I've tried, I'm actually quite impressed at what it can do to my productivity!

Meet Things, a GTD manager that's both simple and meaty on features. Basically, you can just tap the plus button (present in every screen you go for convenience), type the task, sort out the due date and press Save.
IMG_0042.PNG

After pressing save, it will go to the Inbox. (I apologize since this is in "Move" mode, as marked by the blue arrows. This lets you move the task to a different category.)
IMG_0044.PNG

If you set a due date, that task will go to the Today screen. If you've done the task on time, you can just tap the checkbox to mark it as finished.
IMG_0043.PNG

After 24 hours, it will be logged to the Logbook.

But if you wanna get technical and complete, it has five major compartments where you can keep your tasks: the Inbox, Today, Next, Scheduled and Someday.
IMG_0070.PNG

These groups have always been a bit of a grey area for me. As I understand, the "Inbox" is the place of tasks that are not yet due, "Today" is the place for tasks that are due (or overdue), "Next" states the proceeding task that comes after one task you're about to make, "Scheduled" is for tasks that you'll get to when the day comes, and "Someday" is for tasks that you'll think about doing some time in the future, but with the specific date left undecided.

As you can see on the screenshot up there, there are two other options "Projects" and "Logbook". "Projects" are ideal for larger projects like, say, a term paper accompanied by a large presentation. Thus, you can group several tasks into a single title.

An example:
I made a "Thesis for Tech" project.
IMG_0045.PNG

Then I grouped several tasks under the project since they are tasks that I can only get to one at a time.
IMG_0046.PNG

When the project I scheduled (which is why it's still in the "Inactive Projects" screen) reaches the date I scheduled it to, it will appear in the Today box.

Finally, the "Logbook" is basically the history of tasks you've been able to finish. Yes, this is where the checked projects go to when they die. You can always uncheck the task if something comes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Elegant de BlogMundi