December 29, 2009

Handpicked 2009: Movies I Haven't Seen

A lot of the movie buffs will notice how large a gap my list of recommended movies has, I mean, it doesn't even have District 9 or Inglouorious Basterds for crying out loud. Well, it's simply because I have yet to watch them, and here's a list of those movies that have been recommended by many but I've yet to watch:

Coraline - looks really good; I have a DVD

I Love You, Man - looks very funny

Adventureland
- looks like a decent teen comedy

The Soloist
- the true story has received a lot of attention

The Brothers Bloom
- many people have gone on the record to say that this movie is great; I also think Rachel Weisz is adorable in this

Drag Me To Hell - I like horror-comedies

The Hangover - the low-budget raunchy comedy turned unlikely hit makes me curious to see if it is as good as they say

Moon - David Bowie's son's directorial debut looks like a good ride around the moon. Sam Rockwell's character is also of interest.

The Hurt Locker - This Golden Globe nominated flick looks like a great war film. Period.

Funny People - The premise sounds great and mature, but the jokes probably are gonna consist of immature raunchy ones. Still, it looks good.

District 9 - I want to watch this sci-fi film... I can't think of anything else to say.

Ponyo - Hayao Miyazaki films are usually worth watching.

Inglourious Basterds - This film looks badass. Quentin Tarantino seems to deliver the goods in this twisted take on World War 2.

World's Greatest Dad - It's been ages since I've liked a Robin Williams film, and this flick while not perfect, looks like it's right up my alley.

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs - This quirky film looks like solid entertainment.

Paranormal Activity - A lot of hype around this film. Before Avatar, this movie was the talk of the town for months on end.

The Invention of Lying - While it looks like a conventional rom-com, I still want to watch it for its high-concept premise.

Zombieland - Looks awesome. Plain and simple.

This Is It - Shun me now for I have yet to watch this "documentary" of rehearsal footage.

Fantastic Mr. Fox - Wes Anderson's stop-motion flick is a dark horse for the Best Animated throne.

Me and Orson Welles - I just want to see the film solely based on claims that Zac Efron finds his inner actor in the film.

The Princess and the Frog - Many have longed for Disney to return to the old 2D formula and it looks like this comeback delivers.

The Road - A Cormac McCarthy novel adaptation that isn't faring as well as No Country for Old Men, The Road still looks like a good depressing sit through post-apocalyptic, cannibalistic America.

Up In The Air - I have no doubt that this movie will only see the light of day in the Philippines next year, but it probably still counts as a 2009 film. It's leading the Golden Globe nominees right now, so there's not much of a good reason not to watch this film about the recession.

The Lovely Bones - It's not faring very well with the critics, but I still want to watch it for its images and story.

Invictus - I'm not really a big fan of football, but this biopic is pretty much a take on Nelson Mandela and his establishment of peaceful relations through the famous sport.

Sherlock Holmes - Another film that'll see release on January 2010, Sherlock looks like a decent romp through old England. Still wary about the Guy Ritchie factor though.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus - While I have yet to see a Terry Gilliam film (in full, at least), he's known for bringing trippy visuals to the screen, kinda like Tim Burton. This film is also notable for being Heath Ledger's last role though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Elegant de BlogMundi