April 10, 2010

Moves Opening This Week: Kicking Ass in a Funeral

High-profile release for comic book fans this week, but I still think Edgar Wright's Scott Pilgrim vs. the World looks even cooler.

Kick-Ass
"I can't read your mind, but I can kick your ass."

This should be Batman's slogan, but I digress. I love the tagline for this movie, because it complements its premise well. Some geek wants to dress up as a superhero (and soon enough a team is formed ala Watchmen) and beat up bad guys. Guess what happens?

Whatever the case, this is shaping up to be Nic Cage's best role in ages. While I'm more sold on Scott Pilgrim's trailer, this movie still looks stylish as hell, and the action doesn't seem to let up. The movie has gone under fire for having 13-year-old girl swear the sh*t out of everything, but blame the comic, and don't be a hater.

Looks really... wait for it, kick-ass.

Death at a Funeral
A remake of a 2007 film of the same name, Death at a Funeral stars comics like Tracy Morgan and Chris Rock in this seemingly convoluted funeral comedy. Expect mayhem to ensue.

Some lines are funny, but some are just downright demeaning, especially to women. And frankly, I'm just unsettled by James Marsden's character instead of tickled. Still, the movie has an above average line-up of stars so I guess it actually shows a bit of promise. I mean, Date Night actually entertained a lot of critics, so I can't see why this seemingly more sophisticated movie can't.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Elegant de BlogMundi