July 24, 2010

Movies Opening This Week: Bros Before Hoes

Last week we saw Inception oversee release, and I’m willing to bet that it will stay on top of the box office for a while, especially because of:

Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty GaloreCats and Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore
Never mind the overly unwieldy title, never mind the overly generic plot and somewhat substandard animal CGI, this movie is just a mystery. I mean, is there any reason for it to exist at all? Who gives a crap about this? It’s like Marmaduke all over again, but this time, it’s G-Force with cats and dogs working together. It doesn’t even seem to bring anything new to the table, so I can’t even see the point in wasting time and resources just to make this and cash in on 3D.

But maybe I just don’t get it; I mean, there’s surely a market for this kind of movie, and I just don’t happen to be part of it… but hey, Kenneth from 30 Rock is in it though!

Instead of rambling any more about this insignificant, harmless family movie, I’ll just go and look for something more sappy.

Charlie St. CloudCharlie St. Cloud

Yup, this is pretty much all I’d see from a Nicholas Sparks, but wait! The twist here is that it isn’t written by Nicholas Sparks. Well hey, any movie that wants to be inspirational but isn’t written by Nicholas Sparks is already a plus in my book!

 

But… hmm… something just feels a little out of place for me. So the story’s about these two close brothers who like baseball but one of them ends up dying in an accident and big brother (Zac Efron) can’t let go of him, and so for some reason little brother goes back from the grave and becomes his conscience and imaginary friend. When Charlie meets the girl of his dreams though, he suffers from conflict: should he choose his dead brother or his girl? Bros before hoes?

Whatever the case, the whole affair feels a bit overly sappy and looks as if it wants to cash in on the Dear John crowd, instead of actually being a complex drama about a boy coming-of-age trying to get over the death of his beloved brother and holding on to childhood. The fact that the trailer spills everything there is to care about the plot doesn’t help either.

This is definitely for the DVD crowd.

Dinner for SchmucksDinner for Schmucks

I love Steve Carell and I like Paul Rudd. Is this movie geared for me for once?

Mmm…

No.

Or at least I don’t think so.

 

 

Dinner for Schmucks is essentially a remake of a comedy that is about this guy who wants to get a promotion but before he does he has to go through a dinner meeting with his superiors. Sounds simple enough. But if the dinner involves bringing the biggest idiot and gaining bragging rights if one ever wins, it could pose a bit of a problem for Paul Rudd’s character. Fortunately enough, he literally runs into an “idiot” in the form of Steve Carell and they become “buddies” who Paul Rudd could use so he can pretty much pull off a win and get a promotion. This somehow gets him in hot water with his girlfriend, and well, maybe Rudd and Carell’s characters may even become friends at some point. One thing’s for sure though: I didn’t laugh at the trailer even once. Maybe it’s my crappy sound system, maybe it’s because I sleep at 3 and woke up at 9, but it’s just… not very funny for me.

Perhaps the closest thing to that is Zach Galifianakis… however you spell that guy’s last name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Elegant de BlogMundi