August 13, 2009

Ponyo! - Movies Opening This... Tomorrow, sorta.

Days ago, I said that it was unfortunate that Ponyo was gonna see limited release, but apparently, Disney has rolled out the production into wide release. Here's hoping the movie will actually reach our shores since it's been a long time since I last watched a Miyazaki film.

Ponyo
It's an adaptation of The Little Mermaid-- rather ironic that Disney also has an adaptation in-house-- that is about a goldfish named Ponyo who goes on a quest to become human so she can finally be formally met by the one she loves.

I've gone on record ('specially on my Twitter) to say that I love Miyazaki films, and with a new one coming out, it's pretty exciting. Yes, it's anime, and I detest most Japanese anime, but when we talk Miyazaki, we talk real movies. It's not just anime, it's a movie 'nuff said.

True the art style doesn't look particularly flashy, but more or less his stories, not to mention his imagination, lend a lot more weight to the art design than any nicely drawn anime can ever really have. I don't know if the English dubbing as a whole is gonna be any good (since it has, what, a Jonas and a Cyrus?), but what I do know is that it's a big hit in its home country Japan.

The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard
A comedy from the men behind Step Brothers and Talladega Nights, this movie (which doesn't feature Will Ferrel in an ironic twist) features some other dude who plays a car salesman called Don Ready. I'm not very sure what Ready's character really is, but I guess he likes to make disasters happen or something.

To be honest, that World War 2 reference was so not funny. And I'm not even Japanese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Elegant de BlogMundi