October 28, 2009

Chronicles of a Windows XP Upgrader #3

Today I decided to just experience 5 years of Windows history in one night. From XP to Vista, then 7.

Did it go well?

Let's say it stopped at Vista.

Before I finally gave this desperate measure a shot, I also desperately tried to format my external hard drive again, and again, and again. It was successful but transferring files was painful as it would only stop at 100MB. I have 130GB to transfer. FML.

So anyway, back to Vista. Started at 8, purportedly ended at 10. The upgrade seemed to have gone smoothly enough, but when push came to shove, the computer was stuck at the loading screen. Vista didn't even have a chance to rear its ugly head yet again for the second time in my life. I tried finding problems through the CD's Startup Repair to no avail, so I chose to just insert the Windows 7 CD and give it a try. Who knows? It might install and piggyback the failure that was Vista. Alas, it was all for naught. Windows 7 needed to be started from the desktop in order to retain my files so I had no choice but to try Startup Repair again, but the catch is, it's the one that comes with Windows 7.

Lo and behold, Windows 7 instantly found a problem, but it could not fix it anyway so I had no choice but to rollback the Vista installation.

Back to square one.

In consolation though, at least I finally found a feature I really dig in Vista: upgrade rollback.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Elegant de BlogMundi