December 5, 2009

Movies Opening This Week: Some Paranormal Activity

I'm kinda shocked that Paranormal Activity is already showing over here (tell me if it's as good as they say!), and while it's still trending on Twitter, I'm not as interested as I was before, and that's because of Peter Jackson's new movie...

The Lovely Bones
It's been a while since Peter Jackson was associated with anything that didn't have the word "ring" in it, so it's a bit of a breath of fresh air to see him direct a new film that's a bit more relatable and down-to-Earth, yet still visually stunning.

Based on the book by Alice Sebold, the movie is about a girl named Salmon who gets killed at the age of 14 (apparently, raped too). Her ghost may be living in a "perfect world" but she still seems to be haunted by her killer, and this is when the bulk of the movie probably happens. While I think the trailer spilled a tad much, it's an effectively edited one nonetheless. Dammit, I NEED TO SEE THIS. NOW.

I know, I know, it's still an adaptation, but come on, we're talking about Peter Jackson! This movie should be great! Even Saoirse Ronan's performance alone seems like it's worth the price of admission.

Speaking of dead people, here's another one... but older.

A Single Man
Yet another novel adaptation, A Single Man is a Tom Ford movie that is set in the 60's (pretty much a decade before The Lovely Bones), and is about a college professor whose will to live is tested when his long-time "partner" suddenly dies.

And what a uniquely interesting trailer it has.

Despite the lack of information, it also feels like it's giving away some information. But the style of the trailer's editing helps in making a cloak of mystery, so really, they could put anything in there and my interest would still be piqued.

Did I mention that it also has some man-to-man action?

While I am interested in the movie, I'm not rushing out to see it. In fact, I think this could be a dark horse in the Oscars based on the number of good reviews it's been receiving. I'm not sure if this trend will last, but the Colin Firth vehicle is something I might watch in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Elegant de BlogMundi